Click on any category below to see aTi Best Practices you can use in your classroom.

BETTY PROVIDENTI

Instructor, (Grades 9-12)
Graphic Design/Commercial Art and Illustration
Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High School
ast Brunswick, New Jersey

Betty is currently and has been the only Graphic Design/Commercial Art/Illustration in the Middlesex County Vocational High School system for 29 years. We have five schools in the system and I teach in the East Brunswick campus. I teach 2 grade levels in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, 10/11 and then 9/12. My students are motivated and focused. Although we do a lot of our work on computers I insist that all students begin by laying out all work by hand as a first step. I started out my art career as a designer never imagining I would eventually teach. At the age of 30 I was asked to take over the class as a temporary replacement for the original instructor. I never left and have never been happier in a job. I would have never thought I would love teaching as much as I have all these years. I look forward to every morning with a renewed passion. I see the excitement of all my students every time they accomplish another task. Art is such an important part of each students learning experience. Whether it is Graphic, Music, or Dance, I do not believe a student has a well rounded education without some form of art training.

This past summer I got to experience a renewal of my own abilities by attending aTi. It renewed my passion and drive to create for me again. The Book Arts and Printmaking classes awakened a new passion for me. I could not wait to bring back my new knowledge and share it with my students. Not only did I have wonderful instructors, but I made new and great friendships. I have continued to communicate with many of the other attendees. The two weeks I spent at aTi were one of the greatest experiences of my career. My students have been so excited about book arts that we have dedicated a great part of the year creating around this subject.

I am looking forward to working with other fellows in being able to spread the word about aTi and the wonderful experience that it is.

No comments: