Click on any category below to see aTi Best Practices you can use in your classroom.

Development of Art Specific Skills

Objectives:
-Giving students experience with how to use the tools of art

-Teaching students general skills: Fine Motor Skills, Vocabulary,
Process, and Technique
-Teaching visual literacy
-Teaching students to be responsible with their tools and creations
-Teaching art career opportunities
-Teaching students how to be an audience




“The tools I was taught in both (ATi) workshops gave me a better understanding of the tools I need to give my students to better equip them. This has, without question, been one of the best experiences of my life! I truly believe that my life has been forever changed and my goals better clarified and focused.”
Leigh MacKelvey, Special Education Teacher
Lanning Square, Camden, NJ

“When I returned to my school after being invigorated at aTi, I explored several lesson plans... to infuse other art mediums into music. The students were enthusiastic about these lessons because they could express themselves using a genre of music that most of them listen to daily. The lessons also provided an opportunity for differentiated learning.”
Harriet Washington Williams, music teacher

“The students were introduced to a new printing technique, printing with found objects. They learned how to construct a one-sheet book and wrap a cover for it. They also used design skills to put together the finished story in the book along with illustrations... Every fourth grader involved in this project was successful. They each completed a book and wrote a story.”
Jeanne Jablonski, 4th grade Art

“Many teachers think that learning is all in books but I believe we can learn in many ways. Incorporating all the activities we did really is an amazing way to learn and get a better understanding of the lesson.”
Ariela, grade 9, Student of DeAnna Whitley

“My students were able to enthusiastically describe the steps to the writing process and comprehend what to do in each step after this lesson. If the vocabulary of the step was forgotten, they could remember it quickly with a dramatic prompt or verbal prompt using analogy. I heard comments from students such as ‘It's fun to write poems’, and ‘Let's write another poem.’”
Leigh MacKelvey, Special Education Teacher

“Barbara Bullock's collage class has allowed our minds to include various collage forms... During public displays of student work from these art lessons, parents can often be heard marveling about the realism of this project.”
Ellen Beth Nappen, high school art teacher



“(After attending ATi) I can’t wait to bring the techniques to the classroom. This program also inspires me to do my own artwork, which will help my teaching abilities.”
Eileen Ciavarello, Teacher
Pequannock Township High School, Pompton Plains, NJ

“I couldn’t wait to go back to school to show the students the various ways to print and publish their own work, their original product.”
Betty Providenti, High School Art teacher

“I make portfolios with them every year and this year I am going to have them design them with the accordion fold... I (also) took the Oil Painting class with Kit Sailor... ATI attracts some very talented people to show up and share their skills.”
Pat Marinaro, Elementary art teacher

No comments: