Click on any category below to see aTi Best Practices you can use in your classroom.

Development in Interdisciplinary Skills / Curriculum Integration

Objectives:
-Involving various subjects and classes in a project;

a Performance, Book, Art Show, Etc...
-Teaching Literacy through the arts- analogies, metaphor, simile,
dialogue, sequencing structure.
-Engaging students in Advanced Problem Solving.

“The arts infusion things were really good for the class. It was a chance for us to move around and not just sit and learn…(You) kept us active and awake instead of having us learn straight out of the textbook and not moving. ”
Phantaisha, grade 9, Student of DeAnna Whitley- Social Studies

“Having art infusion in our class is a lot of fun and we learn a lot more when we actually get to act it out. When we are putting these activities together we are not just learning about history but also how to work together and deal with all the different personalities. I had a great time when we used the pastel paintings to create environmental posters.”
Ariela, grade 9, Student of DeAnna Whitley- Social Studies














“It has so much to do with connections. Every subject is important. But lonely islands of knowledge are so much less valuable than connected other subjects. I think my art classes are the glue to connect math, science, literacy, and all the rest.”
Kandy Lipincott, elementary art teacher

“The Classroom Teachers and the Basic Skills Reading Teachers were pleased with the cross curriculum content of the project. I feel that the classes moved smoothly, the students were interested in their work and it was overall a successful project.”
Donna Mansmann, Elementary and Special Needs art teacher

“Because this lesson engaged the students and taught them how to creatively think about word choices and descriptions of every day events and objects, at least 3/4 of my class improved their writing skills... After ATi, I come back to school full of new ways to incorporate writing and the other art disciplines into my lesson plans.”
Leigh MacKelvey, Special Education Teacher

“(ATi) Book Arts this year is setting me up to be more three dimensional with the kids and their projects. Miriam Shier has given me easily about 30 projects to turn into lesson plans with my students. I can teach them more about design; I can be inclusive with everything using book arts.”
Pat Marinaro, Elementary art teacher

“(In a music class) 95% of students were able to answer questions asked by their peers such as, why did you select that candidate, and why did you choose that social issue?”
Harriet Washington Williams, music teacher (incorporating social studies)

“The students involved were able to put many of their educational skills to good use. They needed to be proficient in the areas of art, writing, research, and computers.”
Jeanne Jablonski, 4th grade Art/History

“It was my desire to make it an enjoyable project with concentration on reflecting on the writing that went into (a) book. I spoke with the literacy teachers so that the students could receive credit for the projects... Fifth grade students told me they liked this project because they could use what they were learning in their literature class and now use it in their art class.”
Lonnie Stewart-Austin, grades 4-8 Art

“The workshop provided a continuous “hands on” practical experience. It enabled me to “stretch” to see how I can adapt things to my classroom and personal learning style. Most importantly it instilled confidence in me and my skills.”
Karen Mickelson, Kindergarten Teacher
Grenloch Terrace Early Childhood Center, Washington Township, NJ

“Just being exposed to all these creative people helped me to raise the bar on the amount of creativity I will put into my classroom.”
Lisa Merino, Fourth Grade Teacher
Lawnside Public School, Lawnside, NJ

No comments: